Sep 4, 2009

The Orchid of Life...

Today it's been 6 months since my Dad passed away. Wow, 6 months... it still seems like yesterday. There is not a single day that goes by that I don't think about him. I miss him more than anything in this world. Anytime Carsen does something new or cool my first thought is I wish my Dad could see this. I want to call him and tell him about. Just to hear that laugh. Or to hear him say "Don't let that tail wag the dog" LOL!  It's so hard not having him here to share in all these moments. The one thing that makes me smile through all of it is this orchid. My Dad gave me this orchid when Carsen was born.  It has 7 blooms... one for each of his kids??  It makes me feel like he is watching over me. And even though I can't see or talk to him, he's smiling through this orchid. 

My Dad had a really green thumb. He was known among his friends for his gardening skills. He told Travis before he passed away how to take care of this orchid because he knew I would kill it.  It's the most precious thing watching Travis take care of it. Just the way he waters it special and really cares for it.  I know it means as much to him as it does to me.  I think Travis feels close to him while he's taking care of it.  Like... "Hey Pops, How am I doing?  Is this enough water?" :-)

My world is not the same without you in it. I miss you! 




7 comments:

The Johnson Family 5 said...

Umm...seriously chills! That is beautiful! AND 7 blooms right now!! Wow! Total fate and not coincidence...he is watching over you and Carsen {and T} everyday. You are so lucky to have had such a special bond with him.

Lara said...

Good Lord...a litle warning next time. Where are the tissues?! Very sweet. Did you guys plant it in the garden?

G'ma Ulli said...

I saw that orchid and it WAS beautiful -- now I know where your got your pretty brown eyes.....

Myssy said...

Amanda I was with dad when he bought that orchid for you. We were getting ready to go visit you in the hospital and dad said he had to get you some flowers. I thought it was so sweet. So we went to Thom Thumb because they always have the prettiest flowers. As we walked in we saw a bunch Of orchids they had just got in and they stopped him in his tracks! While I was looking at the flowers on the floor, dad just stood there looking at those Orchids. I ask Dad what he was looking at, and He said "I like the white one" thats my little Amanda. I immediately turned away because my eyes started filling up with tears. Dad reached down and picked the prettiest one. It only had 2 blooms on it. He was so proud of his purchase. He held that orchid so carefully all the way to the hospital, along with a few choice words for me and my driving...I had forgotten all about that morning until I saw your blog. I thought you should know the thoughts and actions behind that orchid...The Lord works in mysterious ways...

Love You
Myssy

Kevin, Kellie and Brooke said...

Okay, you weren't kidding about the tissues! What a sweet story and I loved reading your sister's comment about the day your dad bought the orchid...that brought more tears to my eyes. I think it's so special that you have something to look at everyday that reminds you of him.

Melissa Johnson said...

Your post and Myssy's story brought tears to my eyes. He is with you, all the time. I can't wait to come visit and see your orchid!

Amy Bannert Neal said...

Wow - what a great, special story. Loved it!!